- Fasting - observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday by everyone 18 - 59 years of age.
- On a fast day, one full meal is allowed.
- Abstinence - observed Ash Wednesday, all the Fridays of Lent by everyone 14 years of age and older.
- On these days, no meat is allowed.
Fasting, Prayers and Alms Giving
- Visit the shrines at St. James and pray with the prayer stones on the walls. Place your hand on the stones and pray on the phrase on the prayer stone.
- Walk the Stations of the Cross, on Friday nights or on your own. Take a moment to follow Christ on this journey.
- Read, Reflect, & Rest - repeat your word or phrase gently.
- Make every effort to attend Eucharist during the Lent and Easter season.
- What can you say "no" to? What can you free yourself from? What can you surrender? Circle one or two:
Lying Cheating Gambling
Smoking Negativism Procrastination
TV Excessive Eating Shopping
Cursing Gossip Being Critical
Wasting Water Video Games Wasting Energy
Excessive use of iPods Hoarding Being Judgemental
Unforgiveness Alcohol/Drug Use Emotional Abuse
What can you give, do or change to help your family, your town and our environment?
- Place a few extra dollars in the collection basket at Mass, no matter which church you attend daily or weekly.
- Participate in the weekly Loaves and Fishes collection for our Diocese.
- Bring canned goods to Mass for our Food Pantry or share canned goods with our local Sterling House.
- Clean out your closet and share your good clothes by placing them in the Clothes for Education Box outside the school.
- Bring good coats, blankets and/or toiletries to St. James for The Bridge when they go to Bridgeport.
Send a check to, or volunteer at, any of the local Soup Kitchens (for example Thomas Merton Center or the Lord's Kitchen).
- Help a friend, neighbor or fellow parishioner. Give them a ride to mass, the store, the doctor or a friendly cup of tea.
- Intensify your giving of your time, energy and resources in order to make a difference in others' lives.